Spend a long weekend on one of Stellenbosch’s oldest wine farms, and enjoy an abundance of activities with your family. From delicious farm-style meals to an Easter Egg hunt to encounters with eagles and awe-inspiring artworks, every minute is play time for children.
Here’s ten things to do with kids at Spier this Easter:
- Inspired by the delicious bounty of the sea and the richness of Cape Malay culinary heritage, this feast on Good Friday, Friday 19 April features braaied snoek, mouthwatering mussels, seasonal salads and so much more. Click here to book: https://www.spier.co.za/events
- See the dancing owls at the Eagle Encounters, a bird-of-prey rehabilitation and conservation project, which also hosts daily flying displays in which you can participate.
- While the adults indulge in a chocolate and wine tasting of our Creative Block blends, the little ones can enjoy a grape juice tasting and learn more about our farm with an educational colouring sheet.
- Farmer Angus’s pasture-reared favourites from the fire take centre stage at the Easter Spit Braai Dinner Buffet on Saturday, 20 April 2019: think fire-roasted pork belly, chicken kebabs, tender lamb, and more. Not to be outdone, though, are the deliciously inventive seasonal salads and freshly baked bread and cinnamon buns. Come hungry! Click here to book: https://www.spier.co.za/events/easter-spit-braai-dinner-buffet
- Admire some art: Amongst many noteworthy works and installations, we have an interactive musical rock sculpture installation, The Songsmith, which plays music when the rocks are stroked. The children will be enchanted! They are also welcome to visit the Spier Artisan Studio, where mosaic artisans showcase their work in progress.
- Shop for souvenirs: The Craft Market sells beautiful local woodwork, beaded items and ceramics – all handmade.
- Take part in our annual Easter Egg Hunt around our restored historic farmyard at the Werf on Sunday 21 April at 11:00. Explore the beautiful lawns, boulders and buildings or search the food garden for hidden delights.
Kids joining their parents for Easter lunch at Spier join the hunt for free. If you are just joining us for the hunt, children under 5 pay R50 while those between 6 and 12 pay R100. Click here to book: https://www.spier.co.za/events/easter-egg-hunt
- Spend Easter Sunday with your loved ones at Spier. Choose between a hearty, farm-to-table lunch at Eight, a braaied lunch in the Manor House Courtyard, or an Easter picnic to be enjoyed on the Werf lawns. There are specially-designed kiddies menus at each that will be sure to get the little ones’ mouths’ water. Children booking for the set lunches can join in the Easter Egg Hunt, starting at 11:00, for free. Click here to book: https://www.spier.co.za/events
- Long weekends call for sleeping in but, trust us, you don’t want to miss the opportunity to explore the Spier farm on a Segway. Want to give your teens a taste of the fast lane? They’re guaranteed to love this: it’s undoubtedly the coolest way to do a breezy lap around the farm. On this exhilarating glide past our pastures and vineyards against the backdrop of the soaring Helderberg, you’ll also learn about Spier’s natural farming practices and commitment to a sustainable future. Contact 021 809 1157 or visit www.segwaytours.co.za to book.
- Head home with some hot cross buns from Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery. Lightly spiced, filled with mixed dried fruit and glazed with a sticky syrup, these fluffy, soft buns are a special addition to the bakery menu during April. Buy 5 and get 1 free.
Linger longer for less!
With so much to enjoy, why don’t you treat the family to an Easter on the farm? Stay three nights at Spier Hotel, and save 20% from just R1 100 per room per night (we’ll treat you to a complimentary bottle of Spier wine too!).
The Spier Hotel is a perfect escape for families: not only do kids under 12 stay free — but while Mom and Dad relax at the Spa or by the pool, our little hotel guests are invited to hang out at the Kids’ Clubhouse which offers safe supervision and a programme packed with fun activities, including arts and crafts, stories, baking and farm walks.
By choosing Spier, you are supporting Spier’s Growing for Good learning initiatives that empower communities to create positive social and environmental change.