Is a visit to the top of Table Mountain on your summer bucket list? With longer days, clear skies and a seriously good-looking city to admire from over 1000m above sea level, there is no better time to turn your office daydream into a reality and book your trip on the Cableway.
Here are a few pointers to help you navigate your way through peak season to ensure your visit is memorable:
Pre-purchase your tickets from tablemountain.net. Online ticket holders can join the queue to board the cable cars immediately, while non-ticket holders will need to purchase tickets from the Lower Station Ticket Office before joining the online ticket holders’ queue.
Basic check list
Remember your walking shoes, sunscreen, sunnies, a warm jacket (just in case) and your camera.
Deals for locals
From 6pm daily, locals with a valid South African ID can take advantage of the ½ price Sunset Special. This special runs until 19 December 2018 and again from 3 January until 28 February 2019.
SA senior citizens, 60 years and older, pay R100 return 7 days a week. SA ID required.
Students with a valid student card can also take advantage of the special R150 return price on Fridays.
ICYMI: There are some (free) extras that you can take advantage of when visiting the Cableway:
- Free MyCiti shuttle – Park your car at the Lower Tafelberg Road parking area and catch the shuttle up to the Lower Cableway Station. Shuttles depart every 20 minutes and operate from 7am until 7pm.
- Free Wi-Fi – Connect to free wi-fi at the Lower and Upper Cableway Stations or settle in at the Wi-Fi Lounge where you can plug in, upload your pics and grab a bite to eat or drink while you’re at it.
- Free 30-minute guided tours – Departing from the Twelve Apostles Terrace on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily, these family-friendly walks provide interesting facts and stories about the mountain and the Cableway.
- Free kiddies activity book – Got kids? Look out for the free activity book handed out to children at the Lower Station. Inside they will find fun activities and a treasure hunt map.
- Free Voicemap app – Use the free wi-fi to download the free Table Mountain Cableway audio tours via the Voicemap app (available from the Apple or Google Play stores). Once downloaded, these tours run offline. They’ll provide you with in-queue entertainment at the bottom and enable you to explore the top of the mountain at your leisure.
Don’t forget to check out the Cableway’s various food and beverage offerings once you’re done exploring. You’ll find on-the-go items at the Wi-Fi Lounge, ice-cold on-tap beer at the Terrace Bar and #lekker South African cuisine on offer from the Table Mountain Café.
Convinced yet? Check out #TableMountainCa on Instagram if you’re still undecided.
The Cableway operates weather permitting. For information visit https://www.tablemountain.net/content/page/quick-tips or call (021) 424 8181.